Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

WP7 Mango Update and BPOS Exchange Online

So, for the past week since the release of the Mango update, I have been freaked out with an odd situation with my Exchange Online account syncing to my Samsung Focus. An error message stating "Outdated" glared in orange underneath the account as the current sync status. I tried initiating a sync with no success. I scoured the Internet for hours upon hours last night to no avail - no one had a straight answer to fixing this issue (even Microsoft sites like Answers, Knowledge Base, Tech Blogs, and BPOS Customer Support).

For all of my fellow BPOS customers, I refuse to be beaten by a machine, as we all know. Well, it all comes down to Exchange device policies. The Mango update enables users to now sync up Tasks, so the existing policy specified within the existing ActiveSync relationship will not do - the partnership of the device and Exchange Online needs to be recreated.

Here are the steps I took to resolve the issue:

  1. I logged into my Outlook Web Access Exchange Online account via IE
  2. I navigated to Options, then selected Devices from the left-hand menu
  3. On this screen, I found a log of my WP7 device (last time synchronized)
  4. I selected and deleted the "log entry" (which is actually representative of the previously established ActiveSync relationship between the device and Exchange Online) corresponding to my Samsung Focus
  5. On my Samsung Focus, I re-initiated a forced sync which now performed successfully after creating a brand new ActiveSync partnership with the updated device Exchange Online policy

So, see, my Windows Phone 7 device is still awesome for running business. That issue that never got a straight answer previously is now a non-issue. Sometimes, patience and passion will get you everywhere.


Posted with BloghuB for Windows Phone 7

1 comment:

abovethecloud said...

Thanks for posting this problem and resolution! I have not received my Mango update yet, but this is great to know. I think I would have tried deleting my Exchange account on the WP7 and then recreating.

KSM

Post a Comment